Disclaimer

This blog ran for more than two years with no graphics--and it received about 50 page views. I was advised to add graphics; after seeing the huge public that followed blogs dedicated to homoerotic images, I decided to use that kind. The result was a dramatically increased number of monthly page views, and the number has remained fairly steady. Most of the images were found on the internet; although they are assumed to be in the public domain, they are identified as far as possible. They are exhibited under the Fair Use protections of United States copyright law: their function is simply to attract readers to the poems--I receive no economic benefit from them or from the blog. Nevertheless, they will be removed if they are copyrighted and the owner so desires. 1260 x 290

POEMAS EN ESPAÑOL -- 2009: January 8, April 12, August 3 . . . . 2010: January 13 . . . . 2013: June 30, November 28, December 8 . . . . 2014: September 25, November 30 . . . . 2015: July 9, October 22 . . . . 2016: February 12, August 1, December 28 . . . . 2017: March 2, September 5 . . . . 2018: May 10, July 15, November 3 . . . . 2019: August 4, December 5 . . . . 2020: December 1 . . . . 2021: October 12, December 3 . . . . 2022: April 15, June 21 . . . . 2023: January 3, April 2, May 9, June 6.

Friday, August 28, 2026

DARK ANGEL

 Free ai generated man angel illustration

 

Now I the anti-Jacob night-long lie

wrestling with my dark angel for my soul:

there is no hold he does not know—and I,

so subtly does he intertwine with mine

his limbs, so wreathe him close, I cannot breathe

but for his breathing.

Better like Isaac in the waste bound, blind,

Waiting the knifes sure stroke should God provide

nothing, than wake to taste

the old salt of defeat and loss again....

Or might I by some grace be purified?

Ah no—from bed to wall I turn my face

and take another fall.

 

 


Note: This is one of my earliest attempts to achieve “significance,” albeit autobiographical. It dates from the 1960s. At that time I had not overcome the influence of the archaic language of the literature of the 16th through 19th centuries in which I had immersed myself. In this case the inverted syntax expresses in part the conceit. Some readers might discern the influence of G. M. Hopkins as well as that of earlier poets.


No comments:

Followers